Wendell Berry, Sabbath Poems: 1979, II

The mind that comes to rest is tended
In ways that it cannot intend:
Is borne, preserved and comprehended
By what it cannot comprehend.

Your Sabbath, Lord, thus keeps us by
Your will, not ours. And it is fit
Our only choice should be to die
Into that rest, or out of it.

6.25.2010

Anniversary




Five years ago I married someone who I become more grateful every day to call my partner. He and I have begun several new "life phases" together, and he has been my security, my best friend, a place to be held when lonely, a place to express my unedited joy and anger. He has been, and is, home for me when I don't feel home.

He has taught me to stop, slow down, and savor life more, which has in turn fed me daily, and informed my practice of Sabbath. I am exited about where our summer will lead us, and grateful to have someone who seeks to be so intentional about our life decisions by my side.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, y'all! Big love to both of you.
    xoxo
    james

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most beautiful anniversary card I've ever read! Love you both, Sue/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that that truly JOYFUL day was five years ago! Love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete